10 Foods and Drinks That Brighten Teeth
Updated: Dec 28, 2020
There is a wealth of information readily available to the public regarding the various foods and drinks that we consume on a daily basis that can stain our teeth. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry there are actually quite a few things that we eat and drink on a regular basis that can not only effectively brighten your smile but can protect them and your gums from bacteria. If you have ever wondered what kinds of things can I eat or drink at home to brighten your smile this list is for you!
1. Apples – Because apples are typically crunchy they can often work like a natural scrub for our teeth, cleaning as we are eating them. Apples also contain a substance called malic acid in fairly high concentrations which is found in most toothpastes. Malic acid promotes extra saliva production which helps in removing and preventing tooth stains. An apple day can also help keep the dentist away!
2. Pineapples – Pineapples contain an enzyme called bromelain which works as a wonderful and natural stain remover. Bromelain can actually break up plaque deposits on your teeth. Plaques are what produce acids that erode tooth enamel leading to cavities.
3. Cheese – Cheese is excellent at buffering or neutralizing your mouth acids because it is rich in calcium, protein and phosphorus. Calcium and phosphorus are crucial in repairing and remineralizing the teeth.
4. Strawberries – Like oranges, strawberries have high amounts of malic acid which is excellent at removing teeth stains. Get your strawberries wherever you can as they are great for your teeth!
5. Broccoli – The high levels or Iron in Broccoli are excellent in preventing bad bacteria and stains from taking hold within your teeth. The florets themselves also act as excellent toothbrush in cleaning your teeth while you eat.
6. Baking Soda – There is a multitude of Journals that have studied toothpastes and found that those with baking soda remove plaque better than toothpastes without. Baking soda has been a mainstay of home remedies for teeth whitening for a significant time.
7. Celery – Celery acts much in the same way that apples do in promoting additional saliva production through malic acid within the vegetable.
8. Seeds and Nuts – Seeds and Nuts function as natural scrubbers and strip stains from the tooth enamel. Many also contain calcium which is helpful in strengthening the teeth.
9. Orange Peels – The peel of a fruit is the important part when it comes to teeth whitening. Orange peels contain vitamin c variants which can be used to whiten your teeth. The next time you peel your orange, wash the peel and then rub the white inner peel across the surface of your teeth to help prevent tartar and plaque buildup.
10. Water – Water not only keeps your hydrated but plays one of the most crucial roles in preventing formation of stains on your teeth. Always swish some water in your mouth after eating or drinking pigment rich meals to maintain a whiter smile. Water also keeps the ph of your mouth more neutral which reduces the chances for tooth enamel decay.
Call Eldridge Dental Today to schedule your appointment!